The apex court asked the CBI to complete its probe in the accident case within 7 days.
A 14-year old girl, who was allegedly gang raped by five men of her village, set herself ablaze in Uttar Pradesh's Mathura District on Tuesday.
Senior advocate Indira Jaising said the case should be transferred to Chandigarh due to proximity to Kathua in Jammu and Kashmir and the incidents of obstruction of police personnel by lawyers of the local court.
A 23-year-old woman was attacked in the ladies compartment of a local train on Saturday morning by a man who tried to strangulate her when she resisted a rape attempt.
A special women's court in Mumbai on Tuesday convicted a 29-year-old driver for the rape and murder of Esther Anuhya, an Andhra Pradesh-based woman software engineer in suburban Kurla here last year.
Slamming the public outcry over the alleged delay in action against Jalandhar Bishop, Auxilary Bishop of Changanassery Archdiocese, Thomas Tharayil sought to know whether declaring a person guilty without an investigation and trial was also a new Kerala model.
After making you uncomfortable, the series ends abruptly, leaving you with a bitter aftertaste of a self-absorbed world that is too eager to move on, notes Divya Nair.
Here is the chronology of events in the Nirbhaya case.
Angered by the killing in the lock-up, a mob attacked the Kotkhai police station.
The girl was rushed to a nearby hospital in Tooting where she is in a serious but not life-threatening condition, Surrey Police said.
The Supreme Court on Wednesday stayed the execution of two death row convicts in Karnataka scheduled for Thursday even as one of them allegedly attempted to commit suicide in jail.
Shashi Singh, the woman who allegedly took the victim to MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar on the day of crime, has been arrested.
IMAGES from the soccer matches played across European leagues over the weekend.
The chief justice, who received a WhatsApp message about the case, heard the matter at his residence at 8 pm on Sunday and gave directions to constitute a bench comprising himself and Justice Srivastava.
The family of the Delhi gang-rape victim on Monday slammed the move by two of the six accused in the case to become state witnesses, saying this was being done to escape death sentence and wanted the plea to be rejected.
Jon allegedly committed a series of shocking acts with four victims between October 2006 and March 2007 and the arrest was made after one of the victims came forward to lodge a complaint.
Following is the chronology of events in the keenly watched trial of the December 16 gang rape and murder case of a 23-year-old girl in which a Delhi court on Friday awarded death penalty to the four convicts:
The stand-off between the government and opposition continued in the assembly on Tuesday over an SIT probe into the audio clip.
The woman had filed the lawsuit against Uber in January this year alleging that Uber does not adequately screen its drivers and its "negligence and fraud" lead to her being sexually assaulted and humiliated.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah asked the opposition on Monday to allow a debate on the Manipur issue to begin in Parliament but the deadlock persisted in Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha as both sides refused to budge from their stand, with Congress and its allies insisting on a statement from Prime Minister Narendra Modi first.
"The Election Commission, in my opinion, is theoretically correct. But, it is also true that the Election Commission had directed the administration to transfer officials with administrative duties and post them according to its direction at the time when it was in charge of the election. "If offences had occurred as a consequence of the polls, it was also the duty of the Election Commission at least to direct or advise the administration to register the complaints which it did not," Justice IP Mukerji observed.
"Disturbed" over the gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl in a moving bus, the Delhi high court on Tuesday assured women lawyers that it was looking into the "brazen" incident following a plea for a court monitored probe
The passport of rape accused Uttar Pradesh minister Gayatri Prajapati was impounded on Saturday and a look-out notice was issued against him, hours after Prime Minister Narendra Modi accused the Samajwadi Party and the Congress of chanting "Gayatri Prajapati Mantra".
A day after state Home Minister KJ George sparked a controversy by blaming the media for tarnishing Bengaluru's image by focussing on rape stories for TRPs, the former state Bharatiya Janata Party president K S Eshwarappa attacked his political opponents.
The trial in the rape case of a five-year-old child allegedly involving two youths on Wednesday commenced in a Delhi court with the girl's mother bursting into tears during her testimony.
Two other accused in the case are still absconding.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the 'Bharat Ki Baat, Sabke Saath' programme in London also said that people have more expectations from his government because they know that it can deliver.
Observing that there are "definite and proved" allegations that complaints of the victims of violence in the aftermath of the West Bengal assembly polls were not even registered, the Calcutta high court on Thursday ordered a Central Bureau of Investigation probe into all alleged cases of heinous crimes like rape and murder, while accepting the recommendations of a National Human Rights Commission panel.
The girl tried to immolate herself near the chief minister's residence in Lucknow on Sunday.
Gayatri Prajapati has been on the run since February 27.
Khan said that investigative agencies should explore the possibility of the opposition parties involvement in the shocking gang rape case.
The Centre on Friday rejected West Bengal government's request for a Central Bureau of Investigation probe into the gang rape of a 71-year-old nun at a convent school in Nadia district, a day after the CID achieved a breakthrough in arresting two suspects 12 days after the heinous crime took place.
The National Human Rights Commission sent notices to the police heads of Delhi and Uttar Pradesh after an alleged victim of sexual assault and police apathy set herself afire outside the Supreme Court in August, officials said Wednesday.
The 25-year-old woman, allegedly raped by a driver of Uber cab service provider, is understood to have told a Delhi court on Thursday that she was traumatised due to the undue delay in proceedings owing to dilatory tactics of accused and being made to relive the ghastly incident.
The Rajya Sabha saw a heated debate on Wednesday after Home Minister Rajnath Singh said that the government that a restraining order has been order against the broadcast of BBC documentary 'India's Daughter' on the December 2012 Delhi gang rape.
A Delhi police official said on reaching the spot, the police team found a person who was later identified as Sachin, a resident of Nathupura who has been detained in connection with the incident.
Expressing anguish over the manner in which women were subjected to grave atrocities in Manipur, the Supreme Court has said that mobs use sexual violence to send a message of subordination to the other community and the state is bound to stop this.